Chain of Pearls
Mother, I shall weave a chain of pearls for thy neck
with my tears of sorrow.
The stars have wrought their anklets of light to deck thy feet,
but mine will hang upon thy breast.
Wealth and fame come from thee
and it is for thee to give or to withhold them.
But this my sorrow is absolutely mine own,
and when I bring it to thee as my offering
thou rewardest me with thy grace.
In response to Half-Light.
- Readers can also read more poetry by Rabindranath Tagore,
- Jan Gan Man – Poetry by Rabindranath Tagore
- Stray Birds – Poetry by Rabindranath Tagore
- Endless Time – Poetry by Rabindranath Tagore
- Baby’s World – Poetry by Rabindranath Tagore